Besides snuggly blankets, there’s really nothing like coming home to a warm, hearty bowl of homemade soup. Here’s an easy recipe for the creamiest, most delicious butternut squash soup you’ll ever make.
- 3 cups butternut squash (cubed)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed (optional)
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/4 cup coconut milk (or regular milk)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- pumpkin seeds or red chilli flakes (garnish)
- cream (drizzle)
*This recipe will require a blender*
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare a baking tray and line with parchment paper.
- With care, cut the squash in half. Scoop out the seeds and peel off the rind. Cut the halved squash into medium sized cubes.
- Toss butternut squash into the baking tray with 2 Tbsp of olive oil; sprinkle with salt and black pepper. Roast until squash is tender and lightly browned for 25 minutes. Stir a few times.
- Place the roasted squash in a blender and add the coconut milk and cayenne. Blend for 3-5 minutes or until the mixture is velvety. Season well with salt.
- In a pot, add 1 Tbsp of olive oil and sauteé onion and garlic until onion is soft. Add the pureéd butternut squash. Sprinkle some pepper to taste (and salt if needed). At medium-low heat, allow simmering for 5mins.
- Serve warm and garnish with pumpkin seeds or red chilli flakes and a drizzle of cream.